Single Layer PCB:Single Printed Circuit Board2020-10-17
Understanding More about Single Layer PCB
Before you decide to go in for a printed circuit board or PCB, there are a few things that you must bear in mind. To begin with you will have to take the crucial decision whether you will be using a single-layer or multi-layer PCB. Both these design types are unique in their own ways and have their respective applications. You will have to decide on the right type of PCB taking into account your specific needs and requirements. The suitability would depend on the purpose for which you will be using the PCB. Based on your needs, you will have to choose between a multilayer and a SINGLE LAYER PCB OEM. As a rule of the thumb, there are a few things that you must bear in mind as an end user. If you are planning to use complex devices, then multilayer boards are a better option. However, if your requirements are simple, then a single layer PCB could be a better choice and more cost effective. In this article, we will try and find out the differences between multiple layer PCB and single layer ones so that as an end user you can decide to buy the right one taking into account your specific needs and requirements.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO?
The basic difference between the single layer and multilayer PCB is not too difficult to understand. Single layer boards just have one layer of material and they are also known as substrate. On the other hand multilayer PCBs have multiple layers of materials. They also have a layer of substrates. However, the difference is because they have an additional layer mostly of conducive metal. These are fixed on both sides of the substrate. Further, the components and circuits on different sides of the board are connected mostly by using two methods. The first is through holes. These are basically small holes that are drilled into the board. The wires are then soldered to the correct components.
Surface mounts are slightly different types of PCBs that make use of leads that are directly soldered to the board. In fact the board becomes the wiring surface as far as the components are concerned. These allow the circuits to consume less space while accommodating a number of components.
Apart from the above you could also go in for multi-layer PCB that are basically made of either three or more number of doubled sided boards. In fact, theoretically, if you decide to choose multilayer PCBs you can come up with as many boards as you possibly can think of. According to some news articles, there was a multilayer board that was almost 129 layers thick. Usually even numbered multilayer boards are chosen because they will cause problems such as twisting or warping once the soldering has been completed.
ADVANTAGES OF SINGLE-LAYER PCBS
There are obviously a number of advantages of single layer PCBs over other types of boards. This would however, depend on your end use and the main objectives for which you are planning to use these single layer PCBs.
* THEY COME WITH A LOWER COST. THE TECHNOLOGY INVOLVED BEHIND SINGLE LAYER PCBS ARE SIMPLE, WHEN COMPARED TO MULTILAYER OR DOUBLE SIDED PCBS. THEY ALSO REQUIRE MUCH FEWER RESOURCES AND LESS EXPERTISE AND LESS TIME ARE ALSO REQUIRED FOR PRODUCING AND DESIGNING. THEY ARE ALSO MORE COST EFFECTIVE. TECHNOLOGY ALLOWS USE OF A SINGLE SIDED BOARD WITHOUT HAVING TO COMPROMISE ON QUALITY AS WELL AS PERFORMANCE. MOST PEOPLE GO IN FOR SINGLE PCBS AND OEMS BECAUSE OF THE COST ADVANTAGES ASSOCIATED WITH IT.
* SIMPLER PRODUCTION AND DESIGN: WHEN YOU DECIDE TO CHOOSE SINGLE-SIDED BOARDS, YOU WILL NOT BE OVERWHELMED BY THE DESIGN AND OTHER COMPLEXITIES THAT ARE OFTEN ASSOCIATED WITH DOUBLE OR MULTIPLE LAYER BOARDS. THEY DESIGN PROCESSES ARE QUITE SIMPLY AND EASY TO IMPLEMENT. FURTHER, ANY PCB OEM WILL BE IN A POSITION TO MANUFACTURE A SINGLE-LAYER BOARD BECAUSE OF THEIR SIMPLE TECHNOLOGY.
* HANDLING OF HIGH VOLUME: WHENEVER THERE IS A NEED TO MEET HIGH VOLUMES WITHIN A SPECIFIED TIME PERIOD, YOU CAN ALWAYS TRUST ON SINGLE-LAYER PCB. THE PRICE PER BOARD WILL COME DOWN QUITE SIGNIFICANTLY AND YOU CERTAINLY GET BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY.
* YOU ALSO WILL BE ABLE TO BRING DOWN THE LEAD TIME BECAUSE OF THE SIMPLICITY OF THE TECHNOLOGY AND THE SPEED WITH WHICH THE PCB BOARDS CAN BE MADE USE OF.
However, there are some disadvantages as far as single layer PCBs are concerned. Though they are cost effective, they may not be the perfect choice for all types of products. Here are some reasons while double-layered PCB or multi-layered PCBs. Here are some shortcomings about single layered PCBs that one should always bear in mind.
* Simple design. While this is considered to be one of the biggest benefits, it also could be a big limitation. When you have more complex devices to work with, then you need more number of connections and components. Single layer PCB simply lacks the power or space to make this possible.
* Low operating capacity and slower speed. The single-layer PCB has a limited number of connections as far as the boards are concerned. This certainly impacts the speed and power negatively. They do not compare well with the multi-layered PCBs that are inherently more powerful and are designed and manufactured for handling higher capacity and greater speed.
* وزن أكبر وحجم أكبر. هناك بعض الأشخاص الذين يتحدثون عن زيادة قدرة الألواح أحادية الجانب. يمكن القيام بذلك بشكل أفضل من خلال توسيع أبعادها بدلاً من إضافة طبقة واحدة أو أكثر. ستؤدي إضافة الطبقات إلى جعل لوحة PCB أثقل وقد لا تتناسب الزيادة في الوزن مع الفوائد والمزايا التي تقدمها لك كمستخدم نهائي.
كيف تزن الإيجابيات والسلبيات
You will have to determine whether a single layer or multilayer PCB is the right one for you. This would depend on the overall requirements of your projects. You have to do the right research and find out whether the single-sided boards do come with the kind of capabilities that you may expect of them. If you are working with simple devices, single layer PCB could be a much better option. However, if you have more complex projects, then single layer PCBs may not be the right choice for you.
At the end of it all, there is no doubt that single layer PCBs have their unique advantages and benefits and as the end-user you are the right person to decide as to which option to choose. If you are looking for cost advantage, volumes of specific designs and other such things than single layer PCBs could be the best option when compared to others.